Mini bio: William and Katharina (Stumpf) Wenkel
Brief biography of Wilhelm Conrad "William" Wenkel (1832-1905) and his wife, Anna "Katharina" Stumpf (1835-1862). Their position on the family tree.
Wilhelm Conrad "William" Wenkel
Birth: January 1, 1832 in Amt Lohra, Nordhausen (now in Thuringen, Germany)
Parents: Johann "Conrad" Christoph Wenkel and Henriette Bierwirth
--- 1846 arrived in New York on the ship "Iris" . The Wenkel family eventually settled in Monroe County, Illinois.
--- remainder of his life lived in or near Columbia, Monroe County, Illinois
Death; September 1, 1905 in Columbia, Illinois. Buried in St. Paul Evangelical (UCC) Cemetery, Columbia, Illinois.
Anna "Katharina" Stumpf
Birth: November 22, 1835, probably in or near New Hanover, Monroe County, Illinois
Parents: Johann "Georg" Stumpf and Elisabeth Keim
--- Lived with husband William near Columbia, Illinois until her death.
Death: March 30, 1862 in Columbia, Illinois. Buried in St. Paul Evangelical (UCC) Cemetery, Columbia, Illinois.
Marriage and Children:
Wilhelm Conrad Wenkel married Anna "Katharina" Stumpf on March 26, 1853 in Monroe County, Illinois. The marriage was recorded in the records of Zion (UCC) in Millstadt, St. Clair County, Illinois (the nearest church at that time). Katharina died in 1862.
Wilhelm Conrad Wenkel married for a second time, to Louise "Auguste" Dorothea Zweig on January 18, 1863 by M. Fotsch, minister of St. Paul Evangelical (UCC) of Columbia, Illinois. Auguste died in 1874.
Wilhelm Conrad Wenkel married for a third time, to Christina Schuckardt, widow of both Wilhelm Kuni and Charles Kuni. They married on June 29, 1878.
Children of William and Katharina (Stumpf) Wenkel
Only one surviving child
*** Johann Conrad "John" Wenkel: born 1853, married Sophia "Margaret" Lepp
--- Emelie, Friedrich, Heinrich, Henriette, Minna, and W. (no dates)
--- Catherina Wenkel: born and died 1862.
Children of William and Auguste (Zweig) Wenkel
--- Carl Friedrich Wenkel: born 1864, died 1866
--- Auguste Minna Clara Wenkel: born 1866, died 1870
--- William Karl Wenkel: born 1869, married Johanne Henriette "Theresia" Stumpf
--- Carl Conrad "Charles" Wenkel: born 1872, married Mary Dahmer
Children of William and Christina (Schuckardt) Wenkel
--- Henriette Emilie Wenkel: born 1880, died 1881
--- Wilhelmine "Lena" Catharine Elisabeth Wenkel: born 1882, married John Weissler
--- Franz "Hugo" Wenkel: born 1885, never married
Posts about William and Katharina (Stumpf) Wenkel:
• Land owned by George Stumpf & William Wenkel in Monroe County, Illinois
• Our Ancestral Villages and Towns
• Wenkels on the ship Iris
• Views of the Old Country: Thuringen, Home of the Wenkels
• Gravestone photo: William H. Wenkel at St. Paul Evangelical Cemetery in Columbia, Illinois. He is buried with his third wife, Christina nee Schuckardt. (no, I don't know what the "H" stood for).
• Gravestone photo: Catherine (Stumpf) Wenkel (1835-1862), also at Evangelical St. Paul Cemetery.
• Marriage Records of Zion Evangelical in Millstadt
• Marriage Records of St. Paul's Evangelical in Columbia (William Wenkel's 2nd marriage)
• Death records of St. Paul's Evangelical in Columbia - with scans of both William and Catharine's death records.